Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Connected

"The universe is a communion of subjects,
not a collection of objects."
-Thomas Berry

So I went to a "Greening the Church" conference last Friday. Missed the middle, and it was so-so. But I read an interview with one of the speakers, Fritz Hull, that, when combined with some comments and stories from the conference has changed how I see the intersection of environmental care, my religion/spiritual life, and physics. This new (to me) story of the universe evolving over billions of years with humans on earth as a wild and beautiful expression of consciousness, intertwined as first among equals among millions of other species, alone able to be conscious of the story. With a spirit intertwined with all of creation, our relationship with the earth and the stars and other creatures as a deep window into how we are doing internally, spiritually. Environmentalism as essential to being fully human, to worship and humility, rather than a byproduct of being a particularly "good" human.

While I can't imagine anyone taking me up on it, I highly recommend the interview, found at http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC25/Hull.htm.

No comments: